Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sheetal

Here in Pune it is about 11am on Sunday. What a journey it has been!

Sheetal is going to be a handful, but fun. She is a girl who knows how to get what she wants. She calls Kate "mama" and Steven the Marathi word for brother (we think.) She is tiny and although supposed to be potty trained, does not like to take time out from her play to go to the potty. We bought diapers today. She is a slow eater as we were there during their breakfast this morning. The first course was something greenish, probably beans and she was the last childto move on to the bread with jam and milk course. We got to watch all the kids get baths last night which took four caregivers. One to round them up, one to dump water on them and soap them up, one to towel them off (they grab their own towel) and one to get them dressed.

My it's hard to think straight in this heat....

Well, we are the only white people we have seen so far here and my do they stare at us. Most of the women wear saris. I am glad I am wearing my tunic and big pants as I think I blend in a bit more.

Today is the first day I've felt well (I'm about 90% well.) Not sleeping for two nights on the way here and then having three expresso shots in Delhi about did me in. Exhaustion. I was pretty much unable to stand or walk on Friday or Saturday. I also got Delhi Belli from the food I managed to eat at the airport so I'm on my third day of antibiotics. Erik, I have taken India off my list countries we should look for jobs at-- it's just too far away.

Steven is nearing his end at this internet cafe (he was mad that housekeepking was going to throw away the 10 empty water bottles he was using to play a bowling game with, unconvinced we'd have10 more empties soon.)

We have many pictures but I'm just not up for it right now-- I'll comeback earlier in the morning or later in the day when it's cooler.

Goodbye from Pune, India!
Corey

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post, so far...as I can't imagine how you're feeling. Good thing you have some meds with you!!! It's wonderful to hear the stories and what your impressions of the culture and experience have been thus far.
    You're all in my thoughts,
    Cristine Reiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corey,
    Has it really been 100 degrees in Pune? I can only imagine how the heat must be affecting you, especially being sick on top of it. It sounds like an amazing journey though...I'm looking forward to hearing more about the culture, the journey and the adoption, through your eyes!

    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy Letsinger6:26 PM, May 04, 2009

    Wow - sounds like an incredible and exhausting adventure so far. I'm glad you're getting over your stomach illness and hope you can pace yourself so you get some rest there. The trip back is bound to be even more exhausting with little Sheetal. Can't wait to meet her. Glad to hear the update.

    ReplyDelete