Saturday, May 2, 2009

Meeting Sheetal

Our journey has been really great thus far (albeit for Corey's sickness). Steven tolerated 3 plane trips and an overnight in the Delhi airport without AC. He loved the ride from the Pune airport sitting on a driver's lap as we careened down roads filled with motorcycles and cows and women carrying water on their heads. He has been a real trouper so far and says he likes India despite the dirt, noise, pollution, and food. I'm grateful for his presence and ready for all of his questions (most at 3am).

We met Sheetal 2 days ago, on May 1st. She is delightful and very clear about what she wants and doesn't want. She likes being held and carried (thanks, Veda, for reminding me to bring a backpack/stroller), but her favorite is being upside down and jumping off concrete benches. Steven has been so excited to see her that he wakes me at 4am asking how long until we visit her again. He pats her head gently and plays ball with her. She smiles and laughs at him, but will now hit him if he gets in her way or sits on my lap. If other children in the orphanage hold my hand or try to sit in my lap, she'll hit them as well. For being the tiniest girl I've ever met, she really packs a punch! Watch out Fiona!

Today after playing ball and eating breakfast, she sat in my lap talking to me (about what, I do not know) and giving kisses until she fell asleep in my arms. She is such a beautiful child and can already count to 10 in English and repeats what I say. We visit the orphanage twice a day and play with her. The social worker I met with worries that Sheetal will "control everyone in her grasp" but I like her large personality and abundance of smiles. She clearly likes being 3.

I'm melting at the internet cafe, so I need to sign off. We meet with the judge on Tuesday, so send good Karma our way!

Kate

3 comments:

  1. I am beyond happy for you! She sounds amazing and clearly she knows you were destined to be her Mother! A tiny three year old who wants to control everyone - hmmm -- that sounds like someone I know! We can't to meet her and are anxioulsy awaiting pictures!!!

    Bette, Kev and Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful to hear of your experience and of the impressions Stephen is expressing! It's wonderful to hear that Sheetal is already enjoying being with you and snuggling up to you! That must be amazing!
    All my best,
    Cristine Reiling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,
    Your impressions of your first encounters with your daughter were delightful to read!

    She sounds like quite the girl...smart, loving and one who knows what she wants! I can't wait to meet her! Good to hear she and Steven seem to be hitting it off...I'm sure it will take a lot of getting used to for both of them, but it sounds like they're really establishing a special bond.

    I will be thinking of you on Tuesday...I hope all goes well with the judge!

    Love,
    Amy Knowlen

    ReplyDelete